CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

A-Typical or Melanoma - Elaine Ruitman

You got it! I have been educated on moles recently because of a peculiar mole that I had on my thigh.
For the past 21 years I have been worried about Rachael, Todd, Carrie and Jo because of their funny moles all over their bodies and the cancer that runs on both sides of the family.
Then six months ago I noticed a mole on my thigh that looks suspicious to me. I begin to watch it, and it begins to change.
Anxiously at my last physical I have my doctor look at this worrisome mole which results in a scheduled removal and biopsy. I then think nothing of it until the nurse leaves several messages to talk to me about the results of my biopsy but won't leave the results on the answering machine. That is when I start to worry.
When we finally are able to stop playing phone tag and talk, she tells me that I need to come in and have more tissue removed from around the sight where the mole was. That the mole was A-Typical. What is A-Typical?
Immediately I am on the Internet. After my research I begin to worry a bit because A-Typical is the stage before Melanoma, the killer cancer if not caught early.
Today was my appointment to have extra tissue removal. This time I am able to sit down with my doctor and read the actual biopsy report, and yes, there were traces of Melanoma. It looks like I caught this in time. I will know next week when we get the results of this biopsy.
Now a word of caution to you sun worshipers and tanning bed lovers. You know that I have always preached to stay out of the sun. Especially to keep your face out of the sun. With the little bit of sun that my skin has seen over the years, I can not believe that I am having this problem, please check your skin out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCleve-

Hey guys- The McCleve kids are doing great. Yeah Tony has some moles that I want him to get checked out, but they have looked the same for years, it still concerns me. I have been thinking of Lisa a lot make sure you keep us up todate as much as possible.

Elaine Ferguson Ruitman said...

Well, even the second round of tissue removal did not get all of the melanoma so now I am going to a specialist. When the original report came back they recommended 3 to 5 more millimeters of tissue. I asked him to please take more, so Dr. Dietz took 8 millimeters. It still wasn't enough.
Now the next step is go to a surgeon who specializes in melanoma removal. I will be making that appointment on Monday. Hopefully he can get me in soon. I am not liking this at all. I want to know where these tentacles have reached out to.
This is such a weird feeling to me to have to worry about this and to know I have something in my body that is bad and has the potential to kill me. I am keeping a positive attitude. Quick action is what is needed in this situation and that is what we are trying to do!

Goulidng and Christina Stoddard said...

At my spa I see the BEST sun screen out there is is made my La-Roache. If anyone wants to buy some I will send it to you. All of you should knwo that you should be putting on at least a shot glass of sun screen on your body all the time and always wear a spf on your face..........

Christina